Saturday, January 21, 2006

together in song

I often hear holistic ministry within the context of relief work in conjunction with spiritual development. However, God created us to be creatures like Him - woven of multiple dimensions including the spiritual, physical, and social. What does it mean to be a Christian in the context in which we live?

My family and I lived in India in 2003. I clearly remember my first walk through the streets of Pune on a November Sunday morning. Everything in the little neighborhood near my hotel was a ragged brown and made of materials in various stages of decay. I remember looking up at a wall surrounding the railway station and seeing a splash of vibrant color in sharp contrast with its frame. The movie poster held the promise of another world - one filled with songs that seemed absent from the street on which I was standing. I learned very quickly that the colors of the heart of the children of India are reflected in hues of music and dancing.

Some dear friends are seeking to reach the people of India through art. Jose and Sarah serve with the University of Nations in leadership with the School of Performing Arts - or Arts with a Mission. They are raising up servants of God whose love of Christ is manifest in music that is shared with the Hindu who knows nothing of Jesus, but who understands the power of song. Jose recently shared a story with me about a trip they made to participate in a movement called "Transforming the World". They are working with national church leaders to bring music - Indian style - to the church and to those yet to hear. They've held bhajans with musicians like aradhna (we had the opportunity to hear them while in India - not an experience I will forget) and are reaching into the hearts of India. While I'm sure that economic stimulus can impact the financial well being of the poor in India - her heart is colored with song.

Perhaps some combination of relief, evangelism and song will prove more effective than any one element on its own. Holism. One Church. One Body. In service.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

site hit counter